What is YouTube Shorts
YouTube shorts is a short video platform that launched a beta version in March 2021 and It was globally released in July 2021 by Youtube.
YouTube short videos length are mostly 15-60 seconds which allows content creators to entertain audiences. YouTube always considers any video below one minute long as Short by default, so it’s very easy to find them among other content. YouTube short video size is 9×16 or 1920x1080p format which is opposed to the traditional YouTube video format ratio of 16×9.
By using YouTube’s in-built creation tools, users can capture, edit, add music from the library, add animated text, gifs, and edit together multiple 15-second video clips to create YoTube Shorts. Viewers of your Shorts can share, comment, like, dislike, or subscribe to your channel while viewing the video.
YouTube introduced this Shorts, a vertical short-form video application to compete with TikTok, Instagram Reels, Instagram Stories, Snapchat Spotlight, and even Twitter Fleets and LinkedIn Stories (both are closed now).
YouTube Shorts Statistics
- YouTube Shorts receives 15 billion views daily.
- It has subscribers from more than 100 countries.
- More than 70% of YouTube watch time is through mobile.
- More than 72% of YouTube Shorts videos are longer than 15 seconds.
- YouTube funding $100 million on YouTube Shorts to pay the content creators.
- About 25.6% of YouTube Shorts originated from India, and 23.4% were from the United States.
How to Create YouTube Shorts on Youtube
When you’re planning to make YouTube Shorts, you can create a new youtube channel for your Shorts or you can use the shorts widget in your main YT channel. But it’s recommended to keep your Shorts on your main channel because it is easier for your audience to stay engaged with your videos along with main videos and more importantly it helps to increase subscribers to your channel.
Viewers can find your Youtube Shorts video by simply tapping Shorts at the bottom of the YouTube app and also the website.
Two options are available when making YouTube Shorts: create a video from scratch within the app or upload an existing or edited video in your gallery. The second tactic is ideal if you’re reusing your TikTok videos, Instagram Reels, or longer YouTube videos onto your channel.
How to Make a Short on Mobile
To create new Shorts within YouTube, you’ll need to use the mobile app.
- Open the YouTube app on your mobile and tap the plus sign + at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Create a Short. If this is your first time creating a Short, you need to Allow Access to your camera.
- Start recording your video by tapping the red record button. By default, Shorts are set to record for up to 15 seconds. But you can change that to 60 seconds by tapping the 15 in the top right corner.
There are lots of recording and editing tools, and features on the right side of the shorts window to create an awesome shorts video. Some of the short special effects and elements tools are Flip, Speed, timer, Green Screen, Retouch, Filters, Lighting, Flash, and much more.
- Once you’re done with the recordings, tap the checkmark to save your Short.
- Now you can preview your video and add music, voiceover, and text overlays if needed. Then tap Next to save your video.
- Create a caption for your video, set visibility, and select an audience type and description details.
- Now Tap Upload Short. That’s it. Your Shorts video was uploaded to your channel.
How To Upload Youtube Shorts on Mobile
Instead of recording a new video within the app, you can upload a Short directly from the mobile gallery videos folder.
- Open the YouTube app and click the plus sign + at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Upload a video.
- Select any video under 60 seconds from your camera roll.
- Add music, text, and other effects if needed for your shorts.
- Now publish it.
How To Upload Youtube Shorts from a PC
If you want to upload a Short from a web browser on your desktop or PC, the process is very similar to uploading long-form videos. YouTube decides which type of video it is by both length and orientation. If you’re uploading a square or vertical video, the network knows it’s Short. The same goes for if the video is less than 60 seconds.
To upload a Short from the desktop:
- Open your YouTube channel or your YouTube Studio.
- Click the Create icon in the top right corner of the page.
- Upload your YouTube Short.
- Fill in all the necessary details and publish.
This is the simplest guide to creating and uploading a YouTube Shorts video!
How to Add or Change Thumbnail on YouTube Video
What is YouTube Premium and All You Know About Before You Subscribe